Friday 8 March 2019

DFI Day 2

Really excited about heading back to the DFI this week.  Although I thought perhaps I wouldn't learn that much new information or skills last week, it was a wonderful informative day and the learning sparked new ideas for me.

This week's outline includes:
Google Docs
GMail
Google Keep
Google Meet



Resizing this was annoying so I learned how to do this:

Embed Code for Doc

I also learnt how to embed a doc and have it show up as a reasonable size.


<div style="margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; display: block; width: px; height: px;">
<iframe width='600' height='400' frameborder='0' src="Copy and paste the embed code of
your Google doc here/pub"></iframe></div>

So I used all the red code from publish to the web>embed:
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSDtsnsxUfLtOQuijR8rERfx2Z-MbV9-gsVyuH-sf2iGQ3nMtxARm5iWA-vLbXr3pFXlQ1ZHi7aY31C/pub?embedded=true"></iframe>

Recapping on last week,
What worked well:
Being able to focus the whole day on these skills has been great.

What didn't work well:
I was a bit slow getting my blog post up last week, so I'd like to do that this week.  I'm going to take my notes here during the day and so should be organised by the end of the day with much of my learning ready to post.

LEARN
First, we were introduced to a video of Dorothy explaining how "learn" fits in and the understanding about us all being learners.
Acknowledgement of effective practice that exists all the way across the cluster.  It would be wonderful to have more of our teachers sharing their expertise in a toolkit during the Online Toolkits.

What does learn look like in your school?
This question was asked of us and we were then presented a number of different effective learning practices.  Some examples were the ALiM and ALL learning cycles as well as things like PB4L etc.


Recognise
Amplify
Turbocharge

Technology enables the removal of barriers, previously inconceivable solutions to problems, opportunities for new ways of learning.


We ran through some of the GSuite apps:
Google Keep:  I learned how to share my notes with other collaborators, so I shared all my old school notes with my new Manaiakalani account, so now I can view them in my new account.  I was worried when they didn't come through straight away, but after a little lag they came through.

GMail:
Looking at the view options
Readded Boomerang, which I've used before but with another account.  It was helpful to do that because I'll appreciate being able to know which of the teacher's I'm facilitating with have read the email that I recently sent out to them.

Today's reflections are:

Time to reflect and share with colleagues

  • What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?
Looking at the initial slides around learn, got me thinking more about the pedagogy that's been explored below the concept of 'learn'.


  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?
Going back to Google Hangouts and Loom and playing with screen recordings. I'm running an Online Toolkit soon for how to use Google Docs for Writing and Language work within the classroom so it was great to have some practice. I like that QuickTime recorder can trim clips. So can Loom though, so that's equally as helpful. I've had lots of great feedback that the Loom videos I'm using are quite helpful for people's learning, so I'd like to continue doing so.



  • What did I learn that could be used with my learners?  
Definitely more videos to demonstrate learning. I also really enjoyed going back and using Google Keep.
  • What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?
Better use of calendars for writing down birthday gift ideas or places we could go for dinners etc. What is also helpful is navigating around my calendar by using the shortcuts.



4 comments:

  1. Talofa Amie, your quote of the month is so apt with DFI. Thank you for sharing the steps on how to make a google doc bigger when you embed into blogger, definitely something I will try again possibly for notices. Thank you for your support today, all the best for the rest of the course. Tanya Mundy @ https://tchingprofessional.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amie
    great working with you today ... I certainly fell head first into the pit during our Google Hangout ... you would have guessed that I became shy, scared and froze unable to think or talk!! More work to be done here ... thank you for focusing on my lack of speech!
    The graphics you've added to your post look great and a need to learn next week for me. Like you ... I opened my Blog and worked on it throughout the day, far more manageable and a more detailed account of the day.
    See you Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amie, I'm glad you're learning the HTML code to embed things the way you want them. I'm no expert, but the things I know are so handy and actually quite fun little tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of guys out there knows what Gmail is but not everyone knows most of the uses of Gmail.in this article I would be taking you on a ride on what can you do on Gmail. CLICK HERE TO KNOW MORE.

    ReplyDelete