Monday 2 March 2015

Failure



I could have given up today
Put my lesson down to one learning curve
of something not achieveable with a classroom
of thirty students.

I could have put my enthusiasm aside
cast down my determination to give my students
a voice
and a purpose in what we're doing this year.

Exclaimed that it was just too hard.
That it couldn't be done.
That I was doing my students an 
injustice 
by forcing them to 
struggle through
this difficult space
we have nicknamed 'The Pit'
that I was 'wasting their time' 
or
'letting them down'
But I persevered.
And I will persevere still.
Because when we spoke of the outcome
I saw light in their eyes
and I will chase that light
even though it's hard.
Because if they should fail
along this road of learning
they will simply learn that 
failure
is a necessary part of learning
nay, of life.
And failure is just one step in the long journey we call
learning
and life.

Amie, 2015

On reflection, speaking with a teacher later, who had visited last week and then took some of this learning back into her classroom, she shared with me her experience of starting out with Chromebooks.  About how she said she won't apologise; for noise, for frustration, for it being a bit chaotic to start with.  That they would muddle through because they were learning.  We talked about resiliency.  About how easy it is to ensure there is so much scaffolding for our students that they can't 'fail'.  About how now, they have become so helpless that when they approach a computer and it won't work, they throw up their hands and exclaim, "It won't go!" before walking away.  About how she then asked - "What have you tried?"

What a great opportunity we're now giving our students. 
To struggle...
To try...
To fail...
To try again....
To persevere....
To succeed....
To see the relevance this has to life.
And I saw the light in her eyes too.

We are learning.  Together.  I can't think of a better space to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment