Friday 7 June 2019

Google Innovator




Well, it's officially a month since I've returned from the Google Certified Innovator Academy in Sydney.  A whole month since I was wrapped in the warm hug of Google and had the absolute and complete luxury of lavishing three days of complete attention on my project.


As an educator, I looked at the Google Innovator opportunity for a number of years, but really felt it was above me; that I wasn't advanced or professional enough or enough of a leader (hello Imposter Syndrome) to qualify for such an incredible opportunity.

What I didn't give myself enough credit for though, was that I have a passion for an aspect of learning in our community and that actually this is licence enough to embark on the amazing journey that is 'Google Innovator'.

My learning did not end upon my return.  Rather, it's opened me so much further to the possibility of more learning.  I've stopped worrying about whether or not something is a good or worthy idea (just because it's mine), and am instead looking at how to begin something and leave the concern for actually looking at the feedback later and how to better tailor the experience.

Some of the learning from this is around the content we were exposed to during Google Innovator and some of it is learning I've undertaken since I've been back.  The texts we came home with were wonderful.  I've been particularly enjoying Mark Wagner's book, "More Now" and "Switch: How to change things when change is hard" by Chip Heath and Dan Heath.  Both raise several wonderful points around education and in particular, change.  I'm thoroughly enjoying learning more about the ideas presented by both and the learning this has engendered in me.

What's really interesting, is that the impact on my personality and confidence through the experience of Google Innovator.  This is not just the result of the days at the academy, but the networking; meeting so many wonderful new contacts, and also the process of returning from the academy and continuing the learning and the journey.  The experience is diverse and comprehensive in terms of my own growth.




So what next?

Well, my project centres around encouraging effective collaboration between enthusiastic educators and our local community educators. 



I'm passionate about our incredible place in the world here in Tairāwhiti.  I know so many children here who think that there's no opportunity here.  That there's nothing to do and nowhere to go as children.  That there's nothing of value to learn here and nothing to celebrate.

I beg to differ.  We have so many passionate people here, who due to geographical isolation have been determined to ensure that this not be a factor that means our kids miss out.  They have brought the opportunities here, because of a burning desire to ensure our kids have the very best.  As a result, we have some really authentic local models of learning here that are powerful, real-life examples of learning in action, for our kids to really immerse themselves in.

Teachers are highly aware of these incredible opportunities and work hard to make the most of these opportunities.  However, time and the lack of a genuine reason to come together in effective ways means that there is a divide between what is on offer and what teachers can make the most of.  That's where my project comes in.  I'm excited about providing opportunities for our great local education providers such as Waka Hourua, Turanga Heritage Trails, Tōnui Collab and Te Tapuwae o Rongokako to come together for Innovation days with some of our passionate local educators to combine their knowledge and expertise to create digital and rewindable learning resources that are accessible to all our local educators - and therefore children.

My first opportunity to connect with educators on this will be at our Gizzy Bytes event to be held at the Waikanae Surf Club next week.  This social networking event is an opportunity to get our local teachers having Manaiakalani Facilitation throughout either 2018 or 2019, to get together and begin the process of getting to know each other.  We're excited about the collaboration that this could bring, across our whole region.  And I'm excited too... knowing that some of these great educators; the ones who are already the pioneers in a new model of PLD in our local place, can do to positively impact the lives of our local learners even further.  I really hope they are interested in the partnership I'd like to present.  I'm excited for our future.

If you're a Tairāwhiti Educator or local Community Education Provider, I'd love to hear from you.  Please follow the link here to a Google Form to record your details.  I'm excited to make contact with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment